Remember that your child's listening level is several years beyond his or her reading level, so don't be afraid to beef up the material. On the other hand, don't hesitate to read a simple story to your older children. We have just found The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley and are about to finish the first one, The Fairy-Tale Detectives.
The books listed here have been some of our favorites. The order means nothing. Take what you like, and toss the rest.
- Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins*
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson*
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle*
- Junie B. Jones by Barbara Park*
- At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon*
- Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen
- Taxi Cat and Huey by Gen Leroy
- Holes by Louis Sachar
- Once Upon a Summer by Janette Oke*
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
- Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary*
- Matilda by Roald Dahl
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling*
- A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony*
- Eragon by Christopher Paolini*
*indicates a series of which the title listed is the first.