Friday, March 27, 2009

Dragon Soup

4 chicken breasts
garlic salt
pepper

Boil chicken breasts until tender and cooked through. Remove chicken and allow to cool. Strain the broth and return to pot.

Add to broth:
1 quart tomatoes with juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 t chicken bouillon
1 chopped onion
1 1/2 cups rice
diced chicken breasts (I only use two and save the other two for another dish.)
seasonings of your choice (I use 1/2 of my taco seasoning recipe)

Simmer until rice is soft. Serve with warm cornbread for a delicious rainy night supper.

We call this Dragon Soup because the first time I served it to my family I'd gone a little bit heavy on the seasonings, and we were all breathing fire. It was actually quite entertaining.

I added some chicken broth and tomatoes to the leftover soup the next day, and we all enjoyed a milder version. The name stuck, however. Remember that a little honey will cut the "hot" in a too-spicy dish if you were to ever have this problem.

No comments: