Monday, March 2, 2009

13 Ways to Glorify God

1. Aim your life exclusively to God's glory.

From Attitudes of a Transformed Heart by Martha Peace

The other twelve are really excellent, but I'm camping out here on number one today. In my quiet time this morning, I was strongly impressed of my need to focus on this aspect of my Christian life.

My aim is all over the place most of the time as I tend to be busy doing lots of things at once. I'm reading four or five books at a time, working on several different projects, doing laundry and housework in the midst of homeschooling, and just generally staying active. My husband said in our family devotion last night that I have more trouble being idle than anyone he knows.

Is this necessarily a good thing? What are my motives for doing these endless projects? Is it for the glory of God?

All too often, I'm afraid the answer is no. It's for the glory of me.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23

Dear Father, I am more concerned about winning the admiration and approval of other people than I am about pleasing You. So much of what I do is ingrained in me as habit from a sense of moral right and wrong rather than devotion to You. I have lost zeal, Father. Please help me regain it. Please help me live a life wholly focused on You beginning today. Amen.

No comments: