Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Welcome to My World


Is this really news? I don't know about you, but this is where our family has always been. Designer clothes and new cars have never taken a front seat when it came to spending my husband's hard-earned money. Groceries and other necessities have always been our priority.

In 1991, Larry Burkett wrote a book called The Coming Economic Earthquake asserting that the overspending of the American government would eventually cause the downfall of its economy.


He wrote a follow-up article called What Happened to the Economic Earthquake in 2000 in which he recognized that the United States had managed to avert the impending crisis through a combination of governmental regulations and consumer habits.

In the conclusion of the article he offers the following sage advice for consumers.

Historically, we know that when the economy does defy logic it tends to right itself; when it is oversold, it tends to retreat; when it is undersold, it tends to advance. As such, although I still believe that this economy cannot continue at its present rate without suffering irreversible damage, I do not suggest that everyone run out and withdraw from the stock market or change all of their investments or retirement plans. My intent is to inform people of the seriousness of our national economic situation, to encourage them to become debt free (including their homes), and to inspire people to get angry enough to demand changes in our current government spending patterns. We also must seek God’s intervention and encourage others to do so. Scripture is clear about repentance bringing change. “[If] My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land” (2 Chronicles 7:14).

Although we may not be able to forecast when the forthcoming economic collapse will happen or how to protect our holdings when it happens, God knows, and we can trust His guidance! Jesus told us to seek first the kingdom of God, and God would provide for our needs (see Matthew 6:33). One of the dangers of being “financially independent” is that it often means we no longer depend on God. When our money is lost, our security is taken away. This is not God’s will for our lives. We must decide if we truly believe God is able to supply our needs or if we are just saying we believe it. We may not be able to control the world economy, but we can allow God to control our lives, and we can live our lives for His glory. That is all God asks of each of us.

This entire article and many other valuable resources are available through Crown Financial Ministries.

Larry Burkett died on July 4, 2003 after a long battle with cancer. He is not here to witness what is happening with the American economy today; however, I don't think he would be too surprised.

1 comment:

DangAndBlast! said...

I'm always amused when I see the personal-interest "these are hard times" stories, because they show what passes as economic difficulty for whoever's selecting the story (the journalists). Ones about how so-and-so has had to cut down and only takes the family to a nice restaurant twice a week, rather than every night. Or how someone has given up the full-time nanny and has put the four-year-old in preschool. The concept of what counts as basic needs is so different for some people ... my sister's done social work, and the number of people who say they need financial assistance because otherwise they won't be able to pay their cable bill or upgrade their (fully-functional) car to the snazziest new thing is rather distressing. (And the stories they've been running for years about how difficult it is for the comparative literature major to get by in college with two $4 lattes a day and student debt and no lucrative jobs being thrown at her -- she might have to give up her weekly fashion shopping trips!)

It puts things in a bit of perspective ... all this time I'd thought I was so blessed, but I clean my own house, mow my own yard, have a ten-year-old car, have only one subscription, make my own coffee, cook my own meals -- who'd have thought that means that I'm living in abject poverty?