Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Round Robin Thank You

Writing thank you notes after Christmas can be a somewhat daunting task, especially for kids. Over the years, we have experimented with various gimmicks to get the job done. I've bought them cute cards, allowed them to type their notes on the computer, and even created fill-in-the-blank notes for them to use when they were smaller.

The most fun option we've discovered, however, is to do a massive round robin session and knock them out all at once. Since each member of our family often needs to thank the same person, this method allows us to send one note to each individual.

I gather up Christmas stationery, stamps, envelopes, and our address book. We make a list of all the notes we need to write. Everyone picks a name and starts a note. Once their portion is complete, he or she passes it along to the next person until we've all included our thanks and wishes for a blessed new year. Everyone signs his name at the bottom, and wa-la! The job is done.

Each person can choose a different color pen to make it simple for the recipient to determine who wrote what. The end result is a good, long letter with unique thoughts and often a bit of humor. We have a good time together and enjoy talking about the time we spent with family and friends over the holidays.

Many hands make light work and hopefully thankful hearts.

For more great ideas, visit Rocks In My Dryer.

5 comments:

Audra Krell said...

Hi! I'm loving this idea. What a fun time we could have writing, thanking and praising people for their kindness. Great post!

Wanda said...

Oh how I love thank you notes!!! I thought surely it was only a southern thing.
I grew up.....saying thank you for everything.
After meals....thank the cook!
After a trip...thank the one who took ya!
After a visit...thank the host!
After a gift...thank the giver!

It's just common courtesy, ya'll.

Sarahlcc said...

This will be great for when my kiddos are older! Wonderful idea! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Lynn said...

This is a lovely idea. And I'll bet it's lots of fun, to all gather around and do it at the same time :)

Blue Castle said...

This looks like a great idea. I haven't even started on my Thank You's yet. Arghh. And I usually have to chase down my husband to do his, so if we did them all at once, that would definitely work better.

Thank you!