Sunday, December 21, 2008

Pondering

I have a lot of things running through my mind right now. There are many questions, but very few answers.

I wonder how we each come to such firm conclusions in our lives while others who seem to live and believe much as we do have very different ideas concerning the same issues.

What, for instance, makes one American an avid patriot while another is wholly apathetic? How does one person become a saver and one a spender? Republican or Democrat? Santa or no?

I find it fascinating to examine the experiences and personal preferences which seem to shape our strongest convictions. Sometimes I think that it is simply a case of one person thinking carefully about an issue and the other having never considered it.

Many times it is the absolute opposite. Both have carefully studied and arrived at completely different conclusions.

The Holy Spirit obviously draws one to Christ, and the Calvinist would say that force is irresistible. In contrast, an Armenian would state that each individual can choose to resist or embrace that calling. Both will list numerous scriptures to support their views. Other than God, who really knows?

Our family, for instance, has always put great restrictions on what we consider acceptable in the realm of movies and television. Many times our children have felt left out of the loop because it seems they've never seen the latest film or TV show that everyone is talking about. As they've gotten older we have loosened those restrictions some, but we are still a bit more selective than most people we know.

On the other hand, we are voracious readers. Someone in our family is a fan of almost every genre out there. When a new book comes on the scene, my husband and I often read it ourselves and then decide whether or not it is a worthwhile investment of our family's time and energy. Sometimes we pass it on to interested parties, and sometimes we don't. Some of our movie-loving friends are a bit surprised at the books we have on our shelves.

I am a real believer in right and wrong. Most issues are black and white for me. I guess that's why I find myself pondering these topics that fall more in the gray. I don't like the gray. It's not very safe.

So, what's the answer? I really do not know.

As Kathleen Kelly said to Joe Fox, "I don’t really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So goodnight, dear void."

No comments: