Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Apron Surprise

Several years ago, a precious elderly cousin gave me a sweet little apron she had made as a young woman. Using that vintage apron as a pattern, I spent part of the morning working on this fun version.

Anything with rick rack is automatically considered adorable in my book, but I think this apron is particularly so. The rounded edge with points on the side is a little flirty and decidedly feminine.


The generous front pocket is lined with a coordinating fabric. Gotta love that contrast!


You might notice the small red button just below the waistband. Is it for decoration or function? Less noticeable is a buttonhole in the lower corner. What in the world? Button them up and see.

Shazam! Our cute little apron is now a charming bonnet. Granted, most of us don't have much need for bonnets these days, but I just love the fact that it transforms this way.

Can't you see the practicality of such a garment? Women would put on a bonnet to visit a friend or attend church and have an apron on hand to help prepare food or do other tasks when they arrived. Who doesn't love a roomy pocket to stash small items?

Besides, any job is a little more enjoyable when you're wearing a cute apron.

5 comments:

Jaime Kae said...

That is fabulously adorable. I've heard of these, but have never seen a picture of one.

VexedAngel said...

Very cute!!

DangAndBlast! said...

Very happy apron :) love it!

Jennifer said...

I don't know if this helps, but here is a pattern for making one. I was so pleased to see the photo of the apron into the hat, made the pattern make sense!

http://tipnut.com/vintage-apron-bonnet-pattern/

Enjoy, Jennifer

Wendy said...

Thanks so much, Jennifer! This has to be the pattern from which my original was made. Amazing!