Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Special Times, Special Friend

I've discovered that friends often come in and out of my life in stages. School, college, jobs, clubs, church, and organizations all provide opportunities for friendships at different times. Common interests, goals, and life situations often bring us together with like-minded people, and relationships are readily established.

Because our lives are so fluid, these connections often fade and so do the relationships. It's not a result of disagreements or conflict; it's a simple fact of life. Change is a constant in our lives, probably more today than at any other time in history. Life moves so quickly, too quickly if we are completely honest. Before we know it our interests or situations have changed, and we simply don't have the same contacts we did before.


That's exactly why I feel so blessed to have what I call a lifelong friend, one who has been with me through it all. We were silly little girls playing with Barbies, pre-teens giggling about boys, high-schoolers cheering for the Tigers, college students searching for our way, young adults falling in love with super guys, new parents making our best guesses, and now...well, let's stop there.

Although we don't live next-door like we had originally planned all those years ago and life seems to keep us both hopping, we still manage to stay connected. Time passes quickly between our visits and calls, but when we are together it seems that we've never been apart.

Anne Shirley would call her, "my bosom friend," and she certainly is that. She knows my heart, has seen me at my best and at my worst, and she loves me anyway. I am so thankful!


One of the nicest things about my recent birthday was a visit from this special friend. I had already received several birthday cards in the mail from her, each highlighting the fact that I was turning 40. Our time together was definitely the icing on my birthday cake. We had a chance to catch up on all the news, especially that of a major transition their family is experiencing, and just enjoy being together.

I was surprised by an incredibly thoughtful gift which obviously took much time and effort which I will share in another post. It is such a great idea, and I'm not sure how I will ever match it when my dear friend turns 40 next year. Oh, my, the fun I will have!

Thanks, Dayna, for being such a wonderful, special friend to me all through my (*long*) life. I know that a silly little thing like the Atlantic Ocean could never truly separate us, so I look forward to the ways our friendship will continue to grow in the years to come. I love you so much, and I thank God for you!

No comments: