Monday, September 29, 2008

Paradise, Day Ten

The sad day arrived. It was time to check out and head for home. We had to be out of our condo by 10 a.m., but our flight didn't leave until 10 p.m. There was still time for fun.

We walked down to Ala Moana Park which was the site of these family photos from 1970.

Mamma and I met Daddy in Honolulu for a little R & R while he was serving in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War. I was almost two years old in these pictures, so I obviously don't remember this trip. I've seen them in photo albums and home movies all of these years, so it was an extra-special part of this vacation for me to visit the actual places. We stayed very close to this area, so I was able to see this park, the Ala Wai Canal, Ala Moana Shopping Center, and Fort DeRussy.

Isn't my daddy handsome? Look at my gorgeous mamma! You should see the pictures of me in a bikini on the beach. ;) That won't happen again in this lifetime!

It seemed fitting to make a few family photos here.

Then we set out to find Manoa Falls. For these waterfall junkies, it is a requirement to find at least one waterfall to enjoy. It was about a mile hike through very humid, rain forest terrain up to the falls. The trail was a gradually sloping incline, but it was very muddy and slippery.

*Note: While white shirts might look nice for photos, they are not the best choice of attire for this type of activity.*

The falls were beautiful, and we rested there for a while before heading back down the trail to our car.

It was almost game time, so we headed back to Giovanni Pastrami's to have lunch and watch the game on one of their big-screen TVs. Everyone knows how that whole deal went down, but the food was excellent.

We walked back down to the beach at Fort DeRussy for one last sunset and then headed on over to the airport as the day was ending for most folks in Honolulu. Not so for this crew! We boarded the plane around 10 p.m. and spent the night flying over the Pacific Ocean. We landed in L.A. about 6:00 in the morning and caught our final flight home.

It was 2:30 p.m. when we finally landed, but it seemed much later to us. We were all ready to get home and into our beds for a long, long sleep.

What a wonderful vacation! We had so much fun and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Regardless, one of the nicest things about going away is coming home. There's no place like it, we've heard.

No comments: