Monday, August 11, 2008

The Proper Perspective

A rock face displays hundreds of cracks and crevices, easily visible from quite a distance. Time and the elements have worn away at this hard surface, carving patterns and indentations.

Adventurous souls are drawn to locations just like this by the possibility of conquering such a challenge. Climbing can be extremely difficult but very rewarding, even exhilirating.

Standing at the bottom looking up, it is easy to see where a climber can next place his foot or grip with his hand. Even looking over the top edge, handholds and footholds seem to be highlighted. Onlookers can call out instructions, aiding the climber in his quest to the top.

It is truly amazing how differently that same rock face looks close up. Suddenly all of the grips seem to be very far apart. What appeared to be a craggy surface now seems to be as smooth as glass. Standing on the tiniest bit of a rock ledge, there seems to be nothing close enough to grab.

It's a scary feeling...but then those folks on the ground or above begin to call out encouragement by shouting directions.

"There's a great spot just to your right!" or "If you can move down just a little, you'll find a foothold!"

Sure enough, a little stretch and a little more courage bring your hand in contact with a small cleft in the rock. Finally, you make it to the top.

It is really all a matter of perspective. Sometimes we can't see things because we are just too close. "Can't see the forest for the trees," is truly an apt expression in this case. Backing up a little bit reveals an entirely new picture.

I'm afraid that I find myself in that position quite often. Especially in times of adversity, it seems that I can't see a way out of a given situation. I certainly don't view my predicament as a challenge, an adventure to conquer.

A little time and perspective often reveal options and solutions that weren't visible to me before. The problem is being able to let go enough to be able to gain that perspective.

The best way I've found to do just that is to reliquish all of my cares and concerns to Almighty God, Maker of Heaven and Earth. He is Sovereign, anyway. Nothing takes place without His knowledge or consent. Who am I to wear myself out worrying and striving? God truly is in control, and He loves me and takes care of me.

The eternal God is a dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms. Deuteronomy 33:27

Now, there's a picture I want to back up and see.

No comments: