Friday, July 11, 2008

Favorite Things

Ahh, the joy of fresh linens. I confess that it's really somewhat of an obsession with me. My sweet husband had difficulty understanding my preoccupation with sheets, towels, pillowcases, and the like until I explained that they affect me the same way a trip to Circuit City does him. It was a word picture with which he could identify. Now he tolerates my mania and acknowledges that it is very nice to slide between freshly laundered sheets at the end of the day.

Knowing that I struggle with this affliction, my mother-in-law recently surprised me with this summer spread made by her mother many years ago. I was thrilled beyond description. It is truly beautiful. My husband's precious grandmother most likely worked this spread before her marriage in 1935.

A summer spread, as its name would imply, is a thin bedspread to be used in the summer months. Without air conditioning, blankets would be unneccessary during the hot summer weather. All of the extra covers were removed from the bed, and a simple spread was used. This particular one is made from a white bed sheet. There is still a tag on the underside. This was certainly not an expensive sheet, but the quality is actually much better than many high-end sheets today. The design appears to be worked with white crochet thread.

Here's a closer view of the basket in the center. Isn't it gorgeous? I feel so blessed to have this beautiful vintage piece, and knowing that it was stitched by my husband's beloved Mammo makes it even more special.


No comments: