Thursday, December 6, 2007

Call Me

I've been meditating on Jeremiah 33:3 for a couple of days.

Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.

Wow.

I've heard this verse called, "God's phone number". It's a pretty neat description of such an incredible command. What great and mighty things does God want to tell me? Is He just waiting for me to ask? What things have I missed because I wasn't listening?

I am too often guilty of spending my prayer time talking to God, specifically listing the things I want Him to do for me or those I love. I know God speaks to me through His Word, but He also speaks to me in a still, small voice. [I love the passage in 1 Kings 19 where God reveals Himself to Elijah. Oh, don't we want Him to be the earthquake!] The problem is that I have to slow down and quiet myself to be able to hear His voice.

A very helpful exercise that I have realized I need to consciously reinstate in my relationship with God is taking a few minutes every morning to be still and quiet before the Lord. In the past, I have spent 5 or 10 minutes at the end of my prayer time in quiet reflection waiting to hear from Him. I think now I am going to try doing that at the beginning. I have a feeling my prayers may be directed a little differently as a result.

Heavenly Father, please keep my thoughts heavenward.

No comments: